[BS/RBS list] Something beautiful happened at the Kotel this week!

Ruth posnruth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 04:30:55 EST 2019

Hundreds of Israelis on Monday evening convened at the Western Wall for a
special prayer session to give thanks to the Creator for the bountiful rain
with which Israel has been blessed.

By: Aryeh Savir, TPS

The thanksgiving prayer session was initiated by Agriculture Minister Uri
Ariel and was attended by Rabbi Shmuel Rabinowitz, the Kotel’s rabbi, and
Chief Rabbi of Safed Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu.

The prayer session included the recitation of special blessings and
chapters from Psalms and joyful dancing.

“We have merited today to give thanks to God for the plentiful rains that
have fallen and for those that will come,” Ariel said. “We have come to
congratulate Israel’s wonderful farmers, and we are all happy about the
rains and we will continue to pray for the continuation of many good
rainfalls,” he added.

Following a five-year-long drought, the water shortage in Israel has
worsened. The Hydrological Service at the Water Authority reported that
precipitation in 2018 was much lower than the multi-year average, and was
therefore declared the fifth consecutive year of drought.

However, since the beginning of the rainy season this year, the Lake
Kinneret, Israel’s largest body of water, saw a 0.88 meters elevation in
its level, according to the Water Authority.

Fw by RuthP

-